Crispy Roasted Pork
1 pork belly (unprocessed), about 2 catties
3 tbsp rose essence wine
2 tsp five-spice powder
2.5 tsp coarse salt (A)
a little white vinegar
some coarse salt (B)
1) Boil a pot of water, blanch the pork belly for 10 minutes. Remove and soak in ice water. Set aside.
2) Remove hair from the pork belly with pliers. Wash and pat dry. Pierce small holes thoroughly on the pork skin with a meat spike. Pierce some holes on the lean pork meat as well.
3) Mix rose essence wine with five-spice powder and coarse salt (A), spread on all sides and the bottom of the pork belly except the skin. Set it on a plate.
4) Brush a thin layer of white vinegar on the pork skin. Refrigerate the pork for 24 hours (without cling wrap to let the meat absorb the seasoning and the skin to dry.) Take out the pork, pat dry and dust off the salt.
5) Pierce small holes thoroughly on the pork skin again with the meat spike. Then brush on another thin layer of white vinegar.
6) Place the pork belly on two layers of aluminum foil, skin up, fold the four sides of the foil up to form a tray-like container to wrap around the pork belly except the skin. Cover the pork skin with coarse salt (B), press lightly.
7) Roast the pork in a preheated 200˚C oven for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and dust off extra salt . Tear off the aluminum foil.
8) Put a wire rack on the baking tray lined with aluminum foil. Place the pork belly on the rack, pierce small holes thoroughly on the pork skin once more.
9) Pat and absorb the oil from the pork skin. Roast the pork belly in a preheated 270˚C oven for 30 minutes until the pork skin cracks.
10) Remove from oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes, chop (you may cut off the lean pork and bone at the bottom) and serve.TIPS
Set the roasted pork belly aside for 10 minutes after cooking to release the water vapour. This makes the skin more crispy and easier to cut.
Use a meat spike to pierce holes thoroughly on the pork skin. This creates cracks on the pork skin when it is roasted, giving it a crispy texture.